We introduce the history of municipalities after the Meiji era in area of Minamisanriku-cho.

1875 Shitsukawa-mura, Shizuhama-mura, 3 or village of Arato Hamamura are merged and become this Yoshimura.
October 31, 1895 This Yoshimura enforces town organization and becomes Shitsukawa-cho.
March 1, 1955 Shitsukawa-cho, Tokura-mura, one town 2 village of Iriya-mura are merged and become Shitsukawa-cho.
April 1, 1959 Utatsu village enforces town organization and becomes Utatsucho.
October 1, 2005 Two towns of Shitsukawa-cho and Utatsucho are merged and become Minamisanriku-cho.